A Needle Puller's Tale

This blog has been created to talk about stitching, cooking, music or anything that comes up in my life. A middle aged womans hobbies and passions.

Monday, September 25, 2006

The Message Boards are really quiet right now.

Not too much news on my end to report, about stitching. I have been in a little slump right now. However, I can feel myself working out of it. Still no progress to report.

I am getting geared up for my annual family apple picking day. I started this when my kids were little. We have gone picking every year for the past 10 years. We all pile into our car and drive over to my sister's house. We have a nice breakfast of bagels, muffins, scrambled eggs, juice, coffee and hot chocolate and then we head out together....me and my two sisters, my mom and her sister too. Now the kids are older....mine are 20, 18 & 14 and my niece is 16. THEY STILL LOOK FORWARD TO IT. Since they are not little any longer we have added my cousin's two daughters....2 & 4 and my sister's husband's niece (4). We all pile into the vans and we are off.

We sing little songs like Thumbelina, The Wheels on the Bus....you know the drill....over to the pumpkin patch. We pick up pumpkins for the little guys and some corn stalks and pumpkins for our own homes. After that it is to the orchard. We pick apples...pick up some wonderful cider...some candied nuts....some kettle corn and we all go back to my sister's. Crock pots are turned on and our potluck dinner is started to heat through for later. We then set to pealing apples for pies. Some apples are quartered for applesauce. After the applesauce is done...it is on to pies. While we eat our dinner, the pies bake. Now we can have them for desert or we can take them home....we normally take them home. This exercise is done to teach the children. Their parents were taught but some do not choose to do these things any longer. I think it is important to expose our children to the old ways. It is up to them if they choose to continue them. My children and my niece all would be very disappointed if we did not do this any longer. The bring friends, dates.....you name them....we have taken them....even neighbors has asked to be invited.

I make up mixes for everyone to take home and make something fresh from the their apples. I make apple fritter mix, apple streusel muffin mix and apple cake mix too.

By the time everything is cleaned up....including the kids....it is time to head back, kids konk out in the back seat and are ready to be plunked into their beds once they are home! A great time is had by all.

Do you have any family traditions you would like to share? I love this type of thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home